Are you looking for a new data engineering role? Check out these five data engineer resume samples to get some ideas on how to structure your own resume. Regardless of your experience level, there’s a resume template here that can help you make the best impression on potential employers. And if you need more advice on how to create a stand-out resume, be sure to check out our guide on how to write a data engineer resume.
Sample Data Engineer Resume 1
Driven data engineer with 4+ years experience wrangling big datasets. Eager to build robust databases that lay the groundwork for revealing game-changing insights at Software Company LLC. Implemented natural language processing tools to make machine-readable databases ready for the team of data scientists. Developed a data pipeline using Delta Lake that led to a client revenue increase of 19%.
Software Company, New York, NY
- Translate business propositions into quantitative queries and collect/clean the necessary data.
- Build scalable databases capable of ETL processes using SQL and Spark.
- Evaluate the workflow and increase the efficiency of data pipelines that process over 50 TB of data daily.
- Utilize MongoDB to create NoSQL databases that harvests data from a variety of sources.
Key Achievement: Developed a data pipeline using Delta Lake that led to a process optimization and corresponding revenue increase of 19%.
Junior Data Engineer
Big Data Company, New York, NY
July 2016–October 2017
- Co-developed the SQL server database system to maximize performance benefits for clients.
- Assisted senior level data scientists in the design of ETL processes, including SSIS packages.
- Created coherent Logical Data Models that helped guide important client business decisions
Key Achievement: Solved an ETL issue while following PL/SQL best practices that resulted in an insight that increased client’s customer base by 33%.
2012–2016 BS, Computer Science
University of Texas at Austin
- Dual concentration in Big Data and Machine Learning
- Received a Business Foundations Certificate
- Part of the winning team for the 2016 Longhorn Hackathon
- Skilled in Data Architecture, ETL, and Machine Learning
- Extensive experience with Hadoop-based analytics (MapReduce andHive)
- Exposed to NoSQL technologies like MongoDB
- Volunteer at Data for Good (2019-Present)
Sample Data Engineer Resume 2
Seattle, WA 98101 • (555) 555-1234 • email@example.com • linkedin.com/in/john-doe
Detail-oriented data engineer with broad-ranging experience improving business and operational processes by leveraging data. Disciplined and versatile, with a gift for analyzing data processes and developing useful metrics and benchmarks for tracking.
Microsoft Office (Advanced MS Excel, VBA Scripting) | SharePoint (Web Part Development) | Tableau | JIRA | MIRO | Alteryx | Qlik | Clarity | Planview | Remedy | Computer Science | Data Quality Analysis, Preparation, and Modeling | Project Management | Business Metrics and Dashboards | Change and Incident Management | Business Intelligence and Analytics | Portfolio and Resource Management | Executive Management Presentations | Certified SAFe Agilist (SA) / Practitioner (SP) | Process Improvement | Scrum Master
Computer Systems Co., Dublin, OH • Manager, Decision Support Measures and Metrics
(08/2017) – Present
Facilitate development of key dashboards by gathering requirements, performing inventory and data quality analysis, identifying and recommending options for improving existing reporting solutions, and developing business requirement materials, including data visualization (wireframes).
- Serve as Scrum Master for the Agile Transformation team. Lead daily stand-ups and scrum ceremonies, work closely with Product Owners to develop and maintain project backlogs, and remove problems and team impediments to ensure that the highest business value user stories are delivered to the customers.
- Track and report on real-time performance metrics in JIRA such as velocity, burn up/down charts, and sprint reports to allow teams to closely monitor productivity over time and provide insight and transparency to the progress of features/stories across the Agile Release Train (ART).
- Support strategic direction by identifying success factors and measurements of continuous improvement and changes in culture through conducting surveys that provide insight to teams’ and customers’ overall satisfaction, including Net Promoter Score (NPS) survey questions.
- Develop new Tableau and Excel dashboards that provide greater visibility into critical areas such as Cybersecurity, Business Impacting Events, and Project and Portfolio Management.
Computer Systems Co., Dublin, OH • Business Systems Analyst 3
(06/2009 – 08/2017)
Led offshore technical team that provided technical support related to dashboard development using Qlik, including setting up data sources using data modeling tools such as Alteryx, writing complex SQL queries, stored procedures, database tuning, query optimization, and resolving key performance issues.
- Collaborated with technical groups in leveraging existing tools to support reporting needs, managed and acted as point of contact for offshore dashboard developers, worked with system subject matter expert in creating datasets to be used as sources for data visualization tools, performed dashboard and data quality assurance before stakeholder acceptance review, participated in the implementation/rollout, and provided post-production support of data reporting solution.
- Facilitated design, strategy/planning, and execution of the migration of existing dashboards from Qlik to Tableau with no impact to business operations. Conducted comparison analysis of features and functionalities between the two systems to determine the best path forward.
- Researched, developed, and provided directional rate analysis of identified suppliers against Gartner labor rates for Developers, Project Management, and Program Management.
- Functioned as the subject matter expert during the requirements definition effort in the implementation of Clarity.
Education and Certifications
University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA • Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science
Agile Software Development – Certified SAFe Agilist (SA)
Agile Software Development – Certified SAFe Practitioner (SP)
SharePoint 2010 Administrator – Training and Certification 3
Tableau Software – Training on Business Intelligence and Analytics
Sample Data Engineer Resume 3
Home Address San Antonio TX Phone +1 (555) 555 1234
11/2015 – present
- Works closely with project manager to develop work plan for Data Warehouse projects and keep the manager aware of any issues
- Supporting the development group by providing API’s and performing middle-tier application development
- Providing analytical network support to improve quality and standard work results
- Providing accurate estimates for project development and implementation. Work with management to meet those estimates
- Develop framework, metrics and reporting to ensure progress can be measured, evaluated and continually improved
- Perform in-depth analysis of research information for the purpose of identifying opportunities, developing proposals and recommendations for use by management
- Support the development of performance dashboards that encompass key metrics to be reviewed with senior leadership and sales management
03/2010 – 07/2015
- Develop, refine and scale data management and analytics procedures, systems, workflows, and best practices
- Work with product owners to establish design of experiment and the measurement system for effectiveness of product improvements
- Work with Project Management to provide timely estimates, updates & status
- Work closely with data scientists to assist on feature engineering, model training frameworks, and model deployments at scale
- Work with the Product Management and Software teams to develop the features for the growing Amazon business
- Perform development and operations duties, sometimes requiring support during off-work hours
- Work with application developers and DBAs to diagnose and resolve query performance problems
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science
- Great balance between offering quick solutions and writing maintainable code
- Detail oriented, reliable with good organizational skills
- A commitment to writing understandable, maintainable, and reusable software
- Strong initiative, innovative thinking skills, and the ability to analyze details and adopt a big-picture view
- Ability to communicate and discuss software components in simple, general terms with business partners and in great detail with software development engineers
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize and analyze large amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- The ability to develop reliable, maintainable, efficient code in most of SQL, Linux shell, Java and Python
- Strong knowledge of various data warehousing methodologies and data modeling concepts. Hands on modeling experience is highly desired
- Ability to write high quality, maintainable, and robust code, often in SQL, PL/SQL, or MDX
- Strong data modelling skills and excellent knowledge of Oracle SQL, Linux
Sample Data Engineer Resume 4
Data Engineer 2019 – Present
New York, NY
Automation Engineer 2014-2019
San Jose, CA
Quality Assurance Internship 2013 – 2014
A Web Company
San Jose, CA
Bachelor’s Degree Computer Engineering 2010 – 2013
San Jose State University
San Jose, CA
Sample Data Engineer Resume 5
(555) 555 1234 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Specialty: Software Engineering – Systems Architecture – Programming – Analytics – Database Engineering
A versatile programmer with strong debugging skills offers a solid understanding/use of algorithms and analytics as well as proven technical leadership and project management skills. Leverages comprehensive technical expertise for software engineering, data management, and developing innovative business solutions for corporate customers.
SELECT CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
- Trained as an analytic scientist with FICO’s Fraud Analytics group, developing various regression and neural network Falcon models based on existing data and risk analytics software.
- Re-built a complex flagship product, debugging and fixing the kernel 2.4x driver for ssl cards to speed up servers.
- Designed and implemented an electronic delivery system where company product inventory was accessible in real-time by vendors; the system served 700 companies with $2M in sales per month.
- Researched and designed a Linux based system which unifies printing, faxing, and mail systems across the country (14 states) into one virtual system; saved the company $25K per month in invoice printing costs.
COMPANY NAME – City, State (2005 – 2016)
Analytic Scientist II
- Worked on big data solutions and Cyber Analytics models for key departments.
- Developed a new streaming analytic framework in Java with JSON data in CouchDB.
- Contributed to the FICO cloud initiative with custom fraud detection models.
- Performed JUnits tests for frameworks using Couchbase-Mock.
Lead Software Engineer
- Served as a Lead Engineer for development of risk analytics software that analyzes and scores billions of transactions in real time to prevent fraud; the software was written in C/ C++ for Solaris 10, Aix, and HP-UX.
- Wrote and optimized PL/ SQL code under Oracle 10g to handle large data sets using partitioning; the data loads are approximately 100 million a day at peak transaction volume.
- Worked on a next generation platform for fraud analytics that uses proprietary rule language based on Pascal.
COMPANY NAME – City, State (2004 – 2005)
Lead Software Architect
- Provided hands-on management for the engineering group and researched new products for the company.
- Implemented a modular extensible framework for a next gen product in C++ & C#; the system core is C/ C++ with a low level hook into kernel32 in the Win32 subsystem for network packet interception.
Professional Overview continued…
COMPANY NAME – City, State (2000 – 2004)
- Conceived, researched, and developed new products for the company.
- Designed a replacement for legacy systems that utilized Linux clusters to make data available 24/7.
- Designed cluster using LVS to serve data to clients using apache and to act as an X server for thin clients via xdmcp.
- Implemented using Gentoo Linux as a base system.
EDUCATION & CREDENTIALS
- Master’s Diploma in Computer Science – University Name
- BS, Computer Science Physics Mathematics – University Name
- Certified in Siebel Business Methods – University Name
- Pattern Oriented Software Architecture – University Name
- Software Engineering: Architecting large systems (distributed and clustered) and designing object oriented frameworks in C/ C++, Java, Python, and Perl
- Analytics: Machine learning using neural nets and regression analysis on large data sets
- Database Engineering: Designed and served as Database Administrator for a large Oracle system; other experience includes MySQL, Couchbase, and Hadoop databases
- Systems Engineering: Worked and developed on various unices (Solaris/ Aix/ HP-UX/ Linux/ BSD) and Windows
- Programming: Java, C/ C++, Windows, UNIX, Python; experienced in UNIX shell scripting
- OS: MS Windows 3.11 – 7.0, Unices (Sun Solaris 7/ 8/ 10, Aix 6.x, HP-UX & Linux – Kernels, RHEL & OSX
- Languages: C/ C++, Delphi, Java, Perl, PL/ SQL, Python
- Databases: Oracle 8i – 10g, MS Sql 2000, IBM DB2, Hadoop, Couchbase, MySQL, Hadoop
- Toolkits: VCL – Visual Component Library, .NET, STL – The C++ Standard Template Library, J2EE & J2SE + Spring, Numpy & Scikit, Bootstrap, JQuery, UUNit
- Version Control: Subversion (svn), CVS, Rational Clearcase, Git + Stash
- Technologies: SCRUM, TCP/ UDP, XML/ Ajax, SS7/ C7, ISUP – ISDN User Part, Codecs – G.723.1, G.726, G.728, G.729A, VOIP, DES, 3DES, RCA, SHA1, Blowfish, Wav, Aiff, mp3, vox, DB Modeling – ER-Win, Rational Rose