Web design is a growing industry and there are many jobs available for web designers. The future for the web design industry is very good and there are many opportunities for career growth.
What is Web Design?
Web design is the process of creating web pages according to accepted design, usability, and accessibility guidelines. The term may also refer to both the process of designing such a page as well as the page itself. In addition to HTML and CSS, web designers use many different tools depending on what part of the production process they are engaged in.
Web design has many sub-disciplines and these include typographic design, interface design, information architecture, interactivity, usability, accessibility & a growing number of other specialties. The tools used by web designers in the creation of their pages have also evolved over time from just merely HTML editors to modern WYSIWYG editors and other tools such as image manipulation programs, content management systems, and other web development frameworks.
What are the primary roles of a web designer?
The primary role of a web designer is to create functional and aesthetically pleasing designs that make the site inviting, easy to navigate, and user-friendly. Their goal is to make sure visitors enjoy their visits to the website and come back for more.
Web designers create and code websites using Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML), Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), and other web-based languages. HTML provides the basic framework for websites and it is then up to the web designer to incorporate graphics, images, video, audio, interactivity, and more to create a compelling website.
Designing a Website
When designing a website there are many factors that need to be taken into account such as the target audience, brand awareness, and whether or not the website will be selling a product. The web designer needs to consider these things before starting any design project.
Web designers generally work with many different stylesheets such as CSS and XHTML and their job is to make sure their designs look good and operate properly across all browsers and platforms. They need to create navigational elements that are easy to use and understand and they also have a big role in creating a site’s look-and-feel, which is often referred to as its branding.
Web designers need to be creative and should have good communication skills. They also need to be well-informed about new technologies and techniques as the web is constantly evolving and the web designer needs to keep up with those changes.
What Skills and Experience Should You Highlight in Your Web Design Resume?
Skills and experience you should highlight in your resume depend on the role for which you are applying. For example, if the web designer works directly with clients they should highlight their communication, problem-solving, and listening skills.
You should also highlight your ability to work on a team and communicate with other web designers and developers. Another good skill to include is that of planning and organizing time because web design projects are often very time-sensitive.
Some colleges offer degree programs in web design, but you could also get the training you need by taking online courses or completing an internship. Check out this list of 100 great web design blogs to learn more about the industry and how you can become a successful web designer.
What are some of the jobs available for someone with your degree?
There are many different types of jobs available for someone with a degree in web design, but be aware that there is fierce competition for web designer positions.
Web designers can work for design agencies, graphic design firms, software companies, website hosting companies, or may be self-employed. They could also choose to work for larger corporations that build websites exclusively. There are many other opportunities out there as well.
Jobs in Web Design
Below you will find a list of the most common jobs available to web designers.
Freelance Web Designer – self-employed, often work full-time hours but are paid by the hour or have a set contract
Graphic Designer – has many of the same responsibilities as a web designer, but is more focused on print materials like brochures, posters, business cards, etc.
Web Designer – works for a web design agency or software company creating websites, sweeping them, and ensuring they work across different platforms
Multimedia Developer – similar to a web designer but works more with video, animation, graphics, etc.
WEB DESIGN RESUME SAMPLE 1
- Company A – Web Designer
- Planning site designs, functionality and navigation, along with audience funnels and data capture points.
- Building wireframes & prototypes which were then turned into functional and responsive digital products.
- Reviewing UX with multiple teams and making necessary edits to accommodate technical or business concerns. Raised UX scores by 38%.
- Handling all composition, color, illustration, typography, and branding for projects.
Company B – Web Designer
- Designing, building, and maintaining marketing email creative using data-driven responsive templates.
- Providing expertise on industry standards, best practices, and proper coding techniques to achieve correct rendering in all email environments.
- Performing quality assurance and troubleshooting code rendering across multiple desktop and mobile devices. Improved customer retention by 1V%.
- Creating landing pages using WordPress CMS.
Company C – Web Designer
- Creating homepage assets for both desktop & mobile experiences.
- Developing site content and graphics in partnership with writers and creative directors. Spearheaded 6 projects simultaneously.
- Designing images, audio enhancements, icons, and banners.
- Presenting concepts and ideas consistent with company branding guidelines to the creative team.
ABC University – Bachelor’s Degree in Interaction Design
Advanced User Interface Design, Udemy
WordPress, Drupal, Joomla H5MQ4, CSS, JS, jQuery
Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator Sketch
5ime management Deadline driven Effective communicator 5eam player
Energetic and inventive
WEB DESIGN RESUME SAMPLE 2
Company A – Web developer
- Establishing the purpose of the website based upon its target audience.
- Aware of international web standards and protocols.
- Creating websites that are user-friendly, effective and appealing.
- Producing, modifying and maintaining websites and web applications.
- Creating quality web pages.
- Explaining the costs and benefits of a proposed website to customers and end users.
- Successful Search Engine Optimization.
- Testing a website & identifying bugs & technical problems.
- Developing cross-browser and cross-platform compatible solutions.
- Ability to read and understand script languages like Perl.
- Designing, implementing and supporting database development on an SQL server.
ABC College – Diploma in Web Design
2011 – 2012
Front end coding
Providing innovative new ideas and solutions to problems.
Able to juggle priorities and multiple projects.
Learning new technologies and keeping abreast of market developments.
Having creativity and imagination.
Adaptable and able to pick up new techniques.
WEB DESIGN RESUME SAMPLE 3
Company A – Web Designer
- Ongoing design and maintenance of new and existing websites. Liaising closely with a customer or client at the design stage. Designing landing pages and also email addresses.
- Promotion of websites both organically and using Google Adwords. Interacting with designers, programmers and clients.
- Creating content that converts visitors to purchasers. Enhancing the look, functionality and appearance of a website. Fixing problems encountered in the functioning of the website. Designing websites that are easy and effective to use.
- Designing web campaigns for online initiatives, editorials, emails & banners. Building affiliate white-labels websites, promotional banners & creative material. Testing websites for functionality in different browsers & at different resolutions.
ABC University – BA (Hons) in Web Design
2005 – 2008
PC and Mac literate.
Proven track record in front end design and development using CSS and HTML. Technical Skills: AS3, PHP, MySQL, Adobe design products and Dreamweaver. Experience of managing multiple projects to tight deadlines.
Have a track record of high-quality web application interfaces and design implementations.
WEB DESIGN RESUME SAMPLE 4
Company A – Web designer
- Conceptualize and design websites for various clients.
- Also designed corporate identities, marketing campaigns and illustrations.
Company B – Art director
- Responsible for corporate identity and marketing of Arffman Consulting.
- Design and develop company identity and all marketing material including website, stationery, company brochures and design manual.
Company C – Graphic Designer
- Worked as a member of the marketing team in three different superstores.
- My responsibilities included the conception of marketing campaigns, graphic design for marketing materials, product photography and advertising design for newspapers.
- Responsibilities included advertising designs and clothing photography.
- Designed clothing graphics, posters, plastic bags and retail graphics.
ABC University of Applied Sciences
ABC College – Diploma in Web Design
Adobe After Effects
Mac OS Adobe InDesign
Windows Adobe Photoshop
Final Cut Express
WEB DESIGN RESUME SAMPLE 5
Company A – Designer / Graphic Artist / Web Designer / Web Master
- Designing Logos & Print Material files using Illustrator & Photoshop
- Designing & Maintaining Websites Photoshop, Image Ready & Dreamweaver
- Converting Designs to HTML using Photoshop, Image Ready & hand coding
- Organizing & maintaining Websites using Dreamweaver
- Designing all kinds Print Media materials & Website Ads
- Cartoon & Flash animation creation using Illustrator & Macromedia Flash
- Building content management systems in PHP
- Website Search Engine Optimization
Company B – Graphic Artist / Web Designer / Web Master
- Designing Logos & Print files using Illustrator
- Designing Websites Photoshop, Image Ready & Dreamweaver
- Converting Designs to HTML using Photoshop, Image Ready & Dreamweaver
- Organizing & maintaining Websites using Dreamweaver
- Updating Photoshop files according to client specifications
- Preparation of images for HTML implementation
- Flash animation & music loop creation using Macromedia Flash
BA Degree 1993 Advertising Art Major, Fine Art Minor
Designer: corporate identity, print media, ads, etc.
Web Designer: page design, site creation & maintenance, php scripting, etc.