Assistants in legal offices have a lot of responsibility. They are frequently assigned with numerous responsibilities, including file organizing, filing paperwork, and even drafting documents. To ensure that you stand out when applying for legal assistant jobs, make sure you include the correct information on your resume. We’ll go through five various types of resumes for legal assistants and what they should include.
What is the Role of a Legal Assistant?
Legal assistants are the initial point of contact when dealing with legal offices. They handle everything from file organization to appointment scheduling and document filing, all under the supervision of their supervising attorney. Their primary responsibility is to assist keep an office running smoothly while also taking on some administrative duties. This may be a difficult job since assistants frequently work long hours and may have to put in overtime.
What are the Duties of a Legal Assistant?
The duties of a legal assistant vary depending on their place of employment and the size of the law firm they work for. In general, however, most legal assistants can expect to be responsible for tasks such as:
- Evidence and other legal documents are gathered, evaluated, and organized for attorney review and case development.
- Prepare and edit all communications as well as legal documents such as complaints and contracts.
- We provide research methodologies, laws, and legal information to aid with the preparation of reports, case files, and legal advice.
- Manage client billing, including bill preparation, finalization, and distribution, as well as addressing billing issues in collaboration with the billing attorney.
- Contact possible clients and witnesses to prepare for depositions, interviews, and meetings.
- File documents and electronic records in filing systems to organize and manage them.
- Assist the attorney with all administrative chores, such as keeping track of the attorney’s calendar and arranging travel.
What should a Legal Assistant Resume Include?
While there is no exact formula that can guarantee your success when applying to various positions within the industry, it’s essential to make sure you include specific information on your resume at all times. Each class will differ slightly regarding the particular requirements, but some standard elements will show you have what it takes to excel. These include:
Legal Assistant Skills and Qualities
An excellent legal assistant must demonstrate several skills before starting their job. Some examples include:
- Knowledge with Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, and Outlook is required.
- Ability to work alone, handle enormous workloads, and meet deadlines
- To write and deliver professional court papers, you must have a strong knowledge of the English language, grammar, and legal vocabulary.
- Excellent communication skills. In many circumstances, the legal Assistant is in responsibility of keeping calendars, scheduling appointments, and communicating with clients and witnesses, all of which need excellent communication skills.
- Organizational abilities. A Legal Assistant CV should include organizational talents, such as arranging papers in an internal legal library and managing numerous schedules.
- Typing speed of 60 to 80 words per minute With so many court documents to prepare and present, all with tight deadlines, efficient typing is essential.
Remember, you are applying for an entry-level role, so it’s essential to demonstrate that you have what it takes to succeed!
Legal Assistant Education and Experience
Since this is usually an entry-level position, the details on your resume should reflect previous experience with similar roles while underlining any academic achievements you may have. It’s also essential to list any licenses or certificates that you may possess which could be relevant to the role. These may include:
- High school diploma or GED
- Legal Assistant diploma or certification
- Familiarity with laws, legal procedures, and protocols, and the court system
- Working knowledge of case management software
- Computer literacy and satisfactory understanding of daily operations of a legal office
- Minimum of [number] years” or relevant experience
Remember, it is always best to tailor your resume specifically for each position you are applying for, as this will show that you took the time and effort to research what the employer is looking for!
Now that you have a better understanding of what to include on your resume let’s look at some specific examples that will help you get started.
Legal Assistant Resume Example #01:
This resume is perfect for applicants who have little to no experience working in a legal office. The focus is placed on academic achievements and any volunteer experience relevant to the role.
City, State, Zip Code
Home: 000-000-0000 | Cell: 000-000-0000
To aid in the effective running of legal proceedings, we are looking for a motivated and passionate professional with legal terminology competence and outstanding administrative skills to help arrange the seamless administration of law activities. Keeps physical and electronic files in a well-organized manner. Criminal law expertise and experience in legal research to collect essential information about cases. To collect critical information concerning instances.
Cooper Law Firm (April 2014-Present)
Internship for Legal Assistants
- Writing notes as directed.
- Organize and preserve case files and legal papers
- Conduct an inquiry and collect relevant data about situations.
- Keep track of your work hours and the bills you send out to clients.
- Write reports and papers for civil cases in a timely and efficient manner.
CERTIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
The University of Virginia
2012 Associate’sAssociate’s Degree in Business Administration
Regina Business Institute
November 2015: Legal Assistant
Highlights of the course:
- Fundamentals of Accounting and Bookkeeping
- Administration of Justice
- Organizational Practices in Business
- Legal Procedures in Government
- Legal Investigation
- Legal Research and Writing
- Trial and Litigation Procedures
- Real Estate and Real Property
- Litigation for Personal Injuries
- Last will
Immigration Bureau of Calgary in 2015
I spent 5 hours each week providing legal help to Immigration Lawyers. I learned how to engage with customers, handle files, enter data into suitable online forms, and provide regular legal information to new and applying immigrants.
- Working knowledge of conducting an investigation into the facts of a case
- Investigating pertinent laws, norms, and legal articles
- Creating reports to assist attorneys in preparing for trials
- Capable of accurately arranging and presenting information
- Extensive knowledge of storing relevant data in computer databases.
- Writing experience with letters, contracts, and mortgages
- Capable of doing clerical duties in a law office.
- Extensive knowledge of Word, basic Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Data entry for trust and regular accounts in PcLaw, as well as monthly reconciliation
- Source searches for the law
Legal Assistant Resume Example #02:
As you can see, this resume is more detailed and includes several different sections to highlight specific skills or qualities that are essential for success within the industry. This example shows how applicants with some experience may wish to use their previous roles as legal assistants to their advantage.
City, State, Zip Code
Home: 000-000-0000 | Cell: 000-000-0000 | email@example.com
Responsible | Detail-oriented | Interpersonal Skills
Time Management | Collaboration
Legal jargon knowledge and administrative abilities are required, as is a willingness to help attorneys create long-term client relationships. Conducting research initiatives ineffectively establishes a case precedent that favors attorneys in court trials or litigation.
PRIMARY KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Documentation creation
- Case and trial preparations
- Upkeep of financial records
- Project investigation
- The law and ethics
- Client engagement in person
- Administrative obligations
- Entering data
- Leadership and education
Legal Assistant | 2008-Present |Corin & Associates
Manage paperwork, billing, and project research for many attorneys in legal practice. Provide legal documentation and administrative chores in practice to secretarial employees and student interns. During trials and legal processes, take notes in the courtroom.
- Legal documents must be prepared and transcribed.
- Identify relevant laws, legal publications, and other information for specific circumstances.
- Prepare pleadings and motions for use in court.
- As needed, do office upkeep.
- Handle a variety of situations effectively under duress.
- Legal secretary trainees were trained and supervised.
- Excellent decision-making abilities in project research.
Legal Assistant | 2006-2008 | Defense Lawyers – Lake County
I spent two years at a legal company managing papers, billing, and project research for numerous defense attorneys. Conducted study to acquire conclusive facts on case procedures and organized documents and records in the form and electronic filing systems.
- Preparing trials and coordinating with the case’s case’s witness.
- Maintaining a high level of secrecy about case details.
- Affidavits have been secured.
- Pleadings, briefs, and case hearing notes were transcribed.
- Case expenditures were kept under control by authorizing balances with attorneys and clients.
Junior Assistant | Law Office, 2004-2006 | Daniel Law Offices
I performed office and administrative chores with expertise in numerous computer software applications. Helped with scheduling and contact with clients and attorneys. I documented everything and entered critical data into spreadsheets.
- Personal assistant duties included organizing transportation.
- Answered phone calls and addressed client concerns professionally.
- Assisting in the creation of various legal forms
- I kept track of several assignment deadlines.
- Aided in the performance of research using database resources.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND EDUCATION
Wilmington, NC: College of Virginia, Bs in Legal Studies
American Bar Association (ABA), Certified Legal Assistant for Virginia
Legal Assistant Resume Example #03:
This resume is perfect for those with plenty of experience working as a legal assistant who wishes to highlight specific skills or qualities that may set them apart from other applicants. This example includes several different sections which detail the various tasks that the applicant was responsible for within their previous role.
City, State, Zip Code
Home: 000-000-0000 | Cell: 000-000-0000 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Skilled personal injury legal assistant with 4+ years of job-specific experience and five years in management. My unique background in management, administration, and the law provides the foundation to increase efficiency and improve organization at Martinez Injury Counsel.
Pittsburgh Enterprise High School, Austin, Texas, 2008 – 2012.
Administrative Assistance Microsoft Powerpoint Planning Record Keeping
EXPERIENCE AT WORK
Legal Assistant for Personal Injuries 2018 – present Judd Walker Investigation Law / Austin, TX
- Collaborated with medical experts to give insight into complex patient records and injury differentiation, increasing the chance of favorable case outcomes by 20%.
- Handled more than ten different types of material, including pleadings, motions, briefs, and patient records.
- Basic medical research was performed, which included setting standard rates for medical treatments, the order of occurrences, and the state of pre-existing conditions.
- Communication with 200+ clients every year, with 98 percent good feedback on response, sensitivity, and communication clarity
- Reduced customer billing disputes by including full descriptions of services in billing requests, saving the company 5+ hours each week.
Hilda Brown Mb 2016 – 2019 / Austin, TX Personal Injury Legal Assistant
- Launched preliminary study into prospective instances, looking into 8+ options such as degree of harm, previous condition, and local legislation
- Mentored three new legal assistants and paralegals to ensure a smooth transition to the speed of litigation work
- Identified inefficiencies in filing, timekeeping, billing, and company administration. Introduced software that saved 80+ weekly hours.
- Client claims were investigated, and doctors were consulted as needed to determine insurance compensation.
Snippet, Office Administrator 2011-2016 / Houston, TX
- I was in charge of the administrative side of a team of 45 workers and contractors.
- Interviewed, recruited, and instructed third-party janitorial and maintenance services to clean and maintain the office space
- Partnered with supply providers to ensure that supplies for 25 employees were accessible.
- By organizing climbing, hiking, and laser tag activities, we cut staff turnover by 30%.
Legal Assistant Resume Example #04:
This resume is perfect for those who have little legal assistant experience but are looking to highlight any related education or skills they may have. This example includes a concise list of duties that the applicant was responsible for within their previous role.
City, State, Zip Code
Home: 000-000-0000 | Cell: 000-000-0000 | email@example.com
To secure a position as a legal administrative assistant with ABC Law Firm, I can use my education and experience to add value to the organization.
The University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
Bachelor’sBachelor’s Degree in Legal Studies (focus: legal research) 2018 – 2020; GPA: TBD; Cumulative credits completed: 36/120 required for graduation.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Proficient in Microsoft Office and Windows.
Strong research skills: legal, historical, technical, and other information needed for written reports used as evidence within the law field.
Expertise with tracking time/billing to work projects directly related to legal cases or documents. Experience working under pressure due to strict deadlines necessary for completing tasks.
Legal Assistant, ABC Law Firm, Albuquerque, NM
2018 – Present.
Duties include: conducting legal research; preparing legal documents such as briefs, pleadings, and motions; client contact; organizing and managing files; billing time worked to specific projects.
This resume is perfect for recent graduates looking to secure an entry-level position in a law firm or related office environment. The focus here is on academic achievements and any relevant experience gained while studying at university.
Legal Assistant Resume Example #05:
This resume is perfect for experienced legal professionals looking to move into a more administrative role within a law firm. As you can see, the focus here is placed on previous experience and any licenses or certificates which could be relevant to the role.
Name | Legal Assistant
From 2017 till the present, I worked as a Senior Legal Assistant.
National Walter Half | Houston, Texas
- Prepare client papers for production by drafting and editing discovery answers.
- Reports were developed and prepared in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Keep track of calendars and make all travel arrangements.
- Design, build and maintain litigation support databases and imaging projects.
- Accenture’sAccenture’s legal agency’s agency’s Deputy General Counsel and five senior managers were assisted.
- Scheduled meetings, depositions, discovery answers, and trial strategies directly with clients.
2016 – 2018 Legal Assistant | GPM – David M Moody |Houston, Texas
- Examine and update pre-bills using PACER and other online court records.
- Maintain legal papers and database files.
- Legal documents were processed promptly so that they could be filed in court.
- Exhibits, papers, appeals, and other legal documents have been filed with the court or opposing counsel.
- Analyze and index document productions for request compliance, and create deficiency letters as needed.
2013 – 2015 Office Assistant | Walmart | Houston (Texas)
- Helped Customer Service Managers with all monetary requirements.
- To guarantee cashier accuracy, I collaborated with Customer Service Managers and management.
- Answering phones, taking messages, faxing, and copying.
- All phone lines were answered, and customer assistance was provided.
- Aided students in selecting a degree and a career path by using computer tools.
Office Services Assistant | 2007 – 2013 | Walmart, Houston, Texas
- To guarantee cashier accuracy, I collaborated with Customer Support Managers and management.
- Customer service, corporate representation, advertising, and business services were all provided.
- Truck loading and unloading, warehouse organization, data entry (Word, Excell, driver logs, etc.), telephones
Certificates and Licenses
Completion Certificate, Legal Research, and Writing
ABC Corporation Senior Legal Assistant June 2011 – August 2015
Associated legal firms include
- management, billing, accounts payable, and receivable monitoring
- I was in charge of the administrative and Word processing employees. Office supplies were ordered and maintained; correspondence, reports, spreadsheets, calendars, emails, and client inventories were all updated.
- Utilized the internet and law libraries to do extensive studies on federal and state legislation.
- In writing/preparing legal documents for the course of action on difficult internet/privacy situations, I used court opinions, legislation, and court regulations.
- I managed casework and litigation assistance as a project manager.
Senior Legal Assistant | 2008 – 2010 |Beta Company
- 3/9/2014 – Present Department of Disabilities Judgment and Appeal (SSA)
- Senior Legal Assistant to a big bankruptcy business, handling all aspects of individual bankruptcies, including meetings with clients to evaluate which options were available.
- Legal Support for Management Panel Members, Senior Partners, and Associates Labor and employment legal practice.
- Heavy client interaction, including troubleshooting client concerns with responsible attorneys Online investigation of opposing counsel, judges, and other parties
Whatever form of legal Assistant resume you choose, it’s critical to remember to adapt it mainly for the position you’re seeking. This demonstrates that you put in the time and effort to learn what the employer is looking for!
Dos and Don’ts of Writing a Legal Assistant Job Description
Writing an appropriate job description is critical to recruiting top talent and lowering the time you spend sorting through unqualified applications. After you’ve written your position description, go through these simple dos and don’ts to ensure it’s proper.
- When describing a hierarchy, use job titles rather than names.
- Create a job description that is full, accurate, and concise.
- Do not write in a narrative style.
- Leave out trivial or occasional duties that are not specific to the role.
- Keep sentence structures as basic as possible by removing unnecessary words.
- When explaining tasks and obligations, follow a logical order.
Tips for Finding a Job as a Legal Assistant
The need for legal assistants is increasing steadily. To cut expenses, businesses choose to hire paralegals capable of undertaking legal activities that were previously handled only by attorneys.
Here are some pointers to help you get a job as a Legal Assistant.
- Research. Because research is a necessary complex skill for a Legal Assistant, obtain some practice time by exploring job postings. Begin by contacting local legal firms in your region. Look up lawyers’ lawyers’ names, addresses, and areas of specialization in internet directories. Request directories from local bar associations as well. Finally, conduct a Google search for online employment sites specializing in the Legal Assistant field.
- Participate in Associations and Organizations. You will be able to find work if you have the correct contacts. It is critical to get actively involved in Legal Assistant groups. You will encounter more established people in the sector who recruiters frequently approach for recommendations in this manner.
- Volunteering. If you have no past employment experience, consider doing volunteer work first to acquire a solid foundation. Volunteers are welcome at a variety of organizations. Why not check with your city or town hall? They may have pro bono legal aid units that continually need support. Volunteering does not pay well, if at all, but it provides vital experience in the legal field.
- .Finally, to have a chance in this competitive field, you must have a solid résumé.