As Interior Designers, we are constantly looking for new methods to improve the living or working environment. Interior design is a diverse profession that includes architecture, space planning, furniture creation, and decoration. It is an art form in which innovative solutions to practical difficulties of the built environment are developed. Interior designers owe it to their clients to provide professional services emphasizing quality and ethics.
This Interior Designs Resume will provide you with some pointers on how to create your resume so that you can position yourself as a qualified candidate for job possibilities in this industry.
Tips for Landing a Job as an Interior Designer:
-Begin by putting up a master resume that includes all of your experience, talents, and education.
-Adapt your CV to the job you’re looking for by emphasizing relevant experience and abilities.
- -Use terms that represent industry jargon throughout your CV.
- -Use clear formatting and enough white space to make it friendly and easy to read.
- -Include a cover letter in which you identify yourself and explain why you want the job.
- -In an interview, be prepared to answer questions about your experience and talents.
If you are searching for a job as an Interior Designer, these suggestions can help you develop a CV that will capture the hiring manager’s attention. You will demonstrate that you are a qualified applicant for the role by emphasizing your talents and expertise. Prepare to discuss your abilities and expertise in an interview, and you could just land the job of your dreams!
Do’s and Don’ts for Interior Designers:
Put your name at the top, along with one email address, one phone number, and an address (if necessary) in the header.
Provide your LinkedIn link. Profile advice is available here.
Describe your current situation in bullet points, beginning with present tense verbs like “Identify,” “Research,” “Write,” and so on.
- Describe earlier jobs with bullet points that begin with past tense verbs like “identified,” “researched,” “wrote,” and so on.
- Capitalize the first word and nothing else that isn’t a proper noun. Here are capitalization tips if English is not your first language.
- Make sure you include certifications, internships, clubs you were a part of, awards you received in college, etc.
- Fill in the blanks with whatever you choose. The recommendation to not do this is BAD ADVICE; I once spent an entire law firm interview discussing my figure-skating expertise. Employers want to see that you are distinctive, versatile, and informed.
- Make it in reverse chronological order.
- Showcase your soft abilities in bullet point explanations of your former employment assignments.
- Use keywords in your resume depending on what individuals in your field are looking for.
- Unless you have recently graduated, prioritize your experience over your education.
- Save it as First Name Last Name Resume.pdf in a.pdf format.
- Use Times New Roman or a similar font.
- Expand any abbreviations in school names that people will not recognize. When in doubt, expand.
- You do not have your birthdate, marital status, parents’ names, social security or passport or other identity numbers, sexual orientation, or anything else. It’s none of your Business.
- There should be no “Objective” section at the top of your resume. It’s out of date and useless. If a job needs it, make your objectives highly clear and suited to the position you’re looking for.
- No “Skills” part provides an overview of everything and soft skills. If you have a lot of relevant abilities, you can have a “Relevant Background,” or you can list languages/programming languages you speak at the bottom. “Kindness,” “teamwork,” “willingness to work long hours,” and other such qualities are NOT skills. This must be reflected in your position descriptions, cover letter, and interview.
- Include nothing before college unless it has professional experience (for example, I include my research experience, but not that I graduated valedictorian). It makes no difference how stunning it is. Nobody gives a damn. If you haven’t attended college, only include high school.
- Words like “detail-oriented,” “team player,” “hard worker,” and so on should be avoided.
- Unless necessary, do not include political experience (you are in political science/campaigns, for example).
- Do not include your references, a declaration attesting to the resume’s accuracy, or the phrase “references available upon request.”
- Do not include a photograph on your resume. If you must, make it professionally photographed with a one-color background.
- Do not use a typeface smaller than 10 points (and 10 points should just be for dates or locations or other very secondary information).
- Each experience should not include more than four bullet points.
Interior design is a rapidly evolving and ever-changing field. Thus Interior Designers must stay current on the newest trends and advances. Interior Designers must be professional and polite while working with customers, creative and imaginative in their Interior Design projects, and have the appropriate tools and equipment for Interior Designing to succeed in this industry.
It’s also vital to have a record of your work so that you can go back to it if there’s a problem later on; read through client contracts thoroughly to ensure you’re aware of all project specifics; and, last, have a portfolio of your work to offer potential clients. You’ll be well on your way to developing an Interior Design CV that will wow the hiring manager if you follow these guidelines!
What is the ideal length for a resume?
One page if you’re fresh out of college or have been working for ten years.
Up to two pages if there are no criteria and you have a lot of experience or unusual situations. That’s all. My resume is only two pages long, and you’d be shocked how much information you can squeeze into that tiny space.
It can be lengthier if you are confident that your industry permits additional pages (for example, while applying for an academic post at a university).
This should be self-evident, yet it takes up a lot of space on the page. You can discuss essential university clubs you were a part of, or you can add extra bullet points to what you did at your work. However, do not leave half of the page blank.
Should your resume be creative?
This depends on how much is in your resume and the industry. There is so much in my resume that I can’t make it that creative and keep it within two pages. Prioritize information, not creativity. However, if you have the space to make it creative, a resume with some color can help you stand out.
Do not copy any of these. Your resume is an extension of your personality and your accomplishments. You should use these for inspiration, perhaps choose a Word template, and then spend a day creating something you like that you’re proud of.
Interior Design Resume—Sample 001
A self-motivated senior interior designer with over seven years of experience. Eager to join Southern Impact to encourage and lead design teams and manage projects from start to finish. Previously, I executed 10+ high-end large-scale luxury projects, led various groups, and cultivated connections with vendors and clients.
Architects Stonewall & Richard
Senior Designer of Interiors
- Managed 15+ large-scale projects while adhering to deadlines, budgets, and client/brand guidelines.
- I led and briefed up to three design teams on concurrent live projects.
- Mentored more than ten young and intermediate designers.
- Oversaw the procurement of FF&E items and requirements (soft and hard materials/finishes, as well as project schedules: plumbing fixture, finish, lighting, door hardware, and so on).
I established and strengthened current client connections by following up on new business opportunities. increased the number of clients by 25%
I networked with and maintained strong relationships with over 20 high-end/luxury product merchants in N.Y.C. and Europe.
I completed 10+ high-end large-scale luxury residential and hotel projects from start to finish.
Jenkins and Williams
Junior Interior Designer
- Supported five design project teams with basic design plans, elevations, details, reflected ceiling plans, millwork design, furniture layouts, ergonomic measurements, finish schedules, color plans, and timelines.
- Materials and models for client presentations were selected and created.
- Assisting with information collection for programming analysis, space designs, and area calculations.
- Prepared interior construction contract documentation such as plans, details, sections, and schedules.
- I researched and chose color/finish/material and furniture parameters for clients.
Architectural drawings, presentation boards, specifications, and purchase orders were created independently for five main clients.
International Academy of Design and Technology, Las Vegas
Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.), Interior Design
- Contract Club, IIDA, and ASID are examples of activities and societies.
- Germany Study Abroad 2010 (Berlin, Weimar, Dessau, and Environs). Dedicated to German designs and the Bauhaus design epoch)
- NCIDQ Accreditation
- Certification as a LEED AP
- CBD Accreditation
Taking part in half-marathons in the Scandinavian style
Communication through vocal, written, and visual means
Paying great attention to particulars
- The A.D.A.’s requirements
Interior Design Resume—Sample 002
City, State, Zip Code
Home: 000-000-0000 | Cell: 000-000-0000
Creative Interior Designer with a solid history in project management, space planning, and computer-aided Design looking for the next step in my career with a reputable design business focusing on creating world-class hospitality and living environments. Coordination of all aspects of Design, from A&E approval through FF&E selection to final delivery. Proven success in leading multidisciplinary teams to meet project objectives and achieve high levels of customer satisfaction.
- Design of interiors and hospitality
- Leadership on a team
- Relationships between vendors and clients
- Project administration
6/1/2016 – 7/1/2020
Company Name City, State
- Residential homes were planned, developed, and furnished to create one-of-a-kind living places.
- Clients were interviewed to determine their décor needs, and AutoCAD was utilized to produce specific project ideas in line with their budgets, tastes, and schedules.
- Changes in industry trends and evolving styles were tracked.
- Sourced local and international sources to identify cost-effective items and nurtured vendor relationships to sustain the supply chain and satisfy buying targets.
- Strategically displayed items to assist clients in understanding presentation significances in terms of size, color, and positioning concerning existing space and furnishings.
- Completed interior design projects were photographed to showcase design services and results.
5/12012 – 5/1/2016
Company Name.City, State
- Clients were consulted to identify project scopes of work, which included space planning, layout, FF&E use, and color schemes.
- Developed and presented design concepts through elaborate color boards and tabletop presentations.
- Worked with the design team to manage workload and deadlines while adhering to the project’s timeline and budget.
- I coordinated with clients, architects, construction employees, installation staff, and the design team to accomplish project deliverables.
- Site visits were scheduled and attended to measure and photograph places and examine and approve information and installations.
INTERN IN INTERIOR DESIGN
From 9/1/2012 until 12/1/2012
Name of the Company
City and state
- Assisting a sales agent in maintaining the showroom library and managing an enormous fabric line.
- Missing samples were ordered and stored, textile binders were updated, samples were delivered to clients, and clients were contacted to propose fabric options.
- Attending customer meetings to monitor the installation and project management processes.
Bachelor of Arts – Interior Design
University Name, City, State,
AutoCAD, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Microsoft Office Suite, Spexx, SketchUp
Interior Design Resume—Sample 003
Brenda West | Interior Designer
Sometown, PA 55555 | Phone: (555) 555-5555 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | LinkedIn URL
Interior design graduates are reaching the end of their apprenticeships and are ready to begin their professional careers. Top grades on commercial and residential design projects and national honors in design contests were gained by keen design sense and space-planning agility34. To produce attractive and bespoke design solutions, excel at combining form, function, and financial concerns.
Apprenticeship in Interior Design
I worked as an Interior Decorator for A.B.C. Interior Design Firm, 2014 to Present
I started my career in interior design by going through an apprenticeship with one of the top residential and commercial design companies in Pennsylvania. Work on both residential and commercial projects from start to finish, from concept to completion.
Associates and contractors use these documents to schedule projects.
With reclaimed wood and salvaged materials, we were able to create various modernized finishes and furnishings for an industrial warehouse-to-residential loft conversion.
- The design team was praised for creating cost-effective, space-saving storage solutions that took advantage of a tight renovation budget and a tiny guest bedroom.
- Color schemes and floor planning for a 10K-square-foot corporate office renovation.
- The overall project objective was to update a large, outdated corporate office space in an existing building and convert it into a modern 10K-square-foot environment. The client wanted the area between two main hallways to be used as open, flexible meeting rooms and break areas. A neutral gray palette with pops of color was applied throughout the renovation.
X.Y.Z. University | Interior Design B.F.A. (G.P.A.: 3.85)
Highlights of the course:
- Design for the Home
- Design for Business
- Design for a Specific Purpose
- Tools for 2D and 3D Design
- Space Planning & Interior Design
- Architecture and Furniture History
- Illustration of Architecture
- Interior Design Products
- Drafting Design
- Interior Design Lighting
- Codes and Environmental Concerns
- Budgeting and Contracts
- High-Tech Residential Design (2,100-sq.-ft. home)
- Design for the Home (kitchen and bath)
- Design for Business (law office)
- Design of Hospitality (hotel lobby)
- Innovative Hospitality Design (150-seat restaurant)
- Design for Specific Purposes (medical practice)
- National Design Competitions
- “Hotel Lobby Design” won first place in the 2017 National Hospitality Association Student Design Competition.
- “Bathroom Design” won first place in the 2016 American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) Student Showcase.
- “Family Room Design” took second place in the 2016 ASID Student Showcase.
- Finalist in the LEED & ASID-sponsored “2015 Green Sustainability Interior Home Design Competition.”
SketchUp; Autodesk (3ds Max, AutoCAD, Revit, Live); ArchiCAD; Photoshop.
Interior Design Resume—Sample 004
X.Y.Z. Company City, State
Interior designer with home and commercial design expertise. Skilled in designing attractive and efficient environments on a budget. Become an expert in space planning and color choosing—extensive experience working with customers and contractors to bring projects to reality.
Interior Design Bachelor of Science
A.B.C. Interior Design College l
Highlights of the course:
- Foundation courses in interior Design (e.g., color, furniture arrangement)
- Program for obtaining certification in internal design project management
Expertise & Skill
I am proficient in Adobe Creative Package and the SketchUp software suite for interior design tasks. Hand-drafting and AutoCAD experience is required.
Experience at Work
X.Y.Z. Interior Design Company
Interior Designer, January 2016-present
Finished multiple homes and commercial design projects on time and within budget. Part of the team that earned A.B.C. Interior Design Firm a position on City Magazine’s 2018 Best Interior Designers list.
Materials and furnishings were researched, and design renderings were generated for client evaluation. Custom finishes and furnishings were created for an industrial-warehouse-to-residential-loft conversion using salvaged wood and reused materials.
It was commended to design cost-effective, space-saving storage solutions that optimized a restricted renovation budget while making the most of a tiny guest bedroom. Color scheme choices and space planning for a 10,000 square foot corporate office refurbishment were led by myself, and I finished multiple homes and commercial design projects on time and within budget. Part of the team that earned A.B.C. Interior Design Firm a position on City Magazine’s 2018 Best Interior Designers list.
- Materials and furnishings were researched, and design renderings were generated for client evaluation.
- Custom finishes and furnishings were created for an industrial-warehouse-to-residential-loft conversion using salvaged wood and reused materials.
- Commended for the Design of cost-effective, space-saving storage solutions that optimized a restricted renovation budget while making the most of a tiny guest bedroom.
- Color scheme choices and space planning for a 10,000 square foot corporate office refurbishment were led by myself.
Interior Design Resume—Sample 005
I want to broaden my knowledge and expertise by using professional abilities with commitment, a good attitude, and an enthusiasm for work, allowing me to create distinctive and different designs in every way. I’d want to learn about the needs of individuals who wish to design their homes, offices, and shops and then use my imagination and creativity to make all of their dreams come true.
Professional Qualification :
Y2K Company, City, State Interior Designer at January 2016-present: I’m a home and business designer.
Academic Background :
H.S.C Mehandle Junior College Roha, Raigad March 2009 S.S.C Mhandle High School Roha, Raigad March 2007
Work Experience :
I. Work Exposure: Had worked under Architect Mr. Kamble for Interior designing of residential and commercial buildings
II. Achievements: Awarded as the Best Interior Designer of the year by X.Y.Z. Interior Design Company in 2019. III. Software Knowledge: Proficient in using Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Sketchup software for designing purposes. IV. Hand-Drafting and AutoCAD experience is required.
Skills & Abilities :
I am familiar with Adobe Creative Suite software (for example, Photoshop), SketchUp modeling software, AutoCAD drawing software, and Microsoft Office.
- Excellent technical talents, particularly Auto-CAD competency and drawing and sketching aptitude.
- Excellent spatial awareness as well as inventiveness and creativity.
- Teamwork and management abilities are required to lead the design and construction process and manage contractors.
- Highly motivated and able to work alone.
- A proactive attitude, desire, and drive for achievement.
Hobbies & Interest Areas :
- Sports: Playing Cricket & Carom.
- Interest: Visiting new places & Photography.
- Listening to Music
Personal Details :
- Sex: Female.
- Date of Birth: 29th June 1988.
- Languages are known: English, Hindi, Marathi.
On your resume, emphasize your design abilities.
Interior designers, on the other hand, spend a significant amount of time with clients discussing design specifications, source of materials, and liaising with the contractors and other industry experts. To guarantee that everything goes as planned, designers should possess excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
Since interior design is a collaborative process, designers must also be able to work well in teams. As the head of the team, they need to have strong management skills so that the project can be completed on time and within budget.
In your CV, highlight all of your unique talents so that employers can determine right away if you’re qualified for the position. You may then discuss soft skills in the work history portion by focusing on interactions with various clients.
Soft skills improve your technical ability and overall design comprehension. They emphasize how you are the ideal candidate for the post in addition to your hard skills.
The following are some critical interior design abilities:
- Actively Listening
- Ability to organize
- Capabilities for project management
- Ability to solve problems
- Thought for others
- Communication skills
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Regulations on property safety
- Accountancy and budgeting
- Technical drawings and blueprints are being examined.
- Microsoft’s (Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint) Office
- Software for image and graphics processing (Adobe Photoshop etc)
- CAD (Computer-aided Design) software is a type of software that allows you to design something using a computer ( AutoCAD etc.,)
Create an engaging resume summary that showcases your experience in interior design.
If you want to make an impression on a potential employer, don’t stop at simply highlighting your skills on your CV. Employers are seeking for anything different about you. A powerful resume summary may help you in some degree of achieving this objective.
Provide a short explanation of your primary skills and knowledge to create a practical interior designer resume summary. Keep your language brief and to the point; only include information related to your talents and what the company is searching for in their new interior designer.
A brief resume summary is a tried-and-true method for piquing the interest of people looking to recruit you.
Make your CV relevant to the position you are applying for.
Interior designers are frequently employed by businesses, real estate companies, or private individuals. To reflect your career objective, tailor your CV to the position you’re seeking and emphasize what a Business or customer is looking for in an interior designer.
Before you begin writing your CV, conduct some research about the firm or client to get a sense of what they’re looking for. Examine the job advertisement to discover what skills are required for the position. This data may assist you in customizing your resume to fit the requirements of the role and those of the potential employer.
Provide examples of how you’ve come up with and implemented creative and original ideas in the past. For example, the position description states that they want someone who can take the creative lead in coming up with design concepts.
A CV that is meant for a certain profession will almost certainly be discovered.